Downtime in UP messages?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon Nov 20 22:56:29 CET 2006

Hi,

I have been looking over the documentation and have searched for it but I
could not find an answer. (Which may be entirely my fault ;-)

I would like to put the downtime in the host up messages. So if I get a
host UP message I can tell how long it has been down.

Looking in the manual the $HOSTDURATION$ macro seems a tempting target.

But it seems the only alert which seems to give a sane duration is the
FLAPPINGSTOP message.

Does anyone happen to have a simple solution to this challenge?

I tried it with a misccommand.cfg entry like:

# 'host-notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
        command_name    host-notify-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios  *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nDuration: $HOSTDURATION$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

Perhaps my approach is flawed.

Hugo.

--