Fwd: Multiple host in hosts.cfg

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Mon Nov 20 14:13:11 CET 2006

Hi all...

I know I'm getting back to this discussion quite late (I've had a
2.5w vacation, hence my absence from the ML), but I thought I'd
contribute a little.

On 9 Nov, 2006, at 12:32, Giles Coochey wrote:

> [...]

IMHO a better way is thusly:
* Define all your hosts individually.
* Create one service description for "SMTP".
* Add the list of hosts to the "host" parameter of the service
description.

That way you won't need a wrapper and you're not mucking about with
address ranges.

An even better method would be:
* Create a host group, for example "SMTP-hosts".
* Create one service description for "SMTP".
* Add the host group to the "hostgroup" parameter of the service
description.
* "Subscribe" your hosts to the host group.

That way, adding new hosts to the service check is a cinch and you
won't have to repeatedly edit the service description itself. All you
do is add host group subscriptions to the hosts.

Naturally this idea can be carried through the whole of your
configuration, which makes for a wonderfully clear and transparent
configuration.

Cheers!

Thomas