Nagios cluster

karl.kornel at mindspeed.com karl.kornel at mindspeed.com
Mon Nov 20 10:07:04 CET 2006

I use Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake), Nagios 2.5 and MySQL 4.whatever.  I
am using clustering.  My main hardware is a Compaq DL580; the backup
machine is a virtual machine running on an ESX.  I use the Linux-HA
clustering system (made available in Ubuntu through the 'heartbeat'
package) to fail Nagios over from the main machine to the backup machine
when something goes wrong*.  I have a single Nagios installation, which
lives on a network-shared disk (using DRBD).  The database also lives on
the shared disk.  I also take advantage of Linux-HA's IP address takeover
scripts, so 'nagios.example.com' just needs to point to one IP address,
which the heartbeat package automatically brings up on the active machine.

With this setup, I only need to configure a single Nagios instance.  There
have been several times when the main machine failed (bad SCSI card), and
in all cases the backup node took over with no problems (it helps that my
MySQL databases all use InnoDB tables; I don't know how well MyISAM tables
would fare).  This setup works very well for me, but your situation may be
different.  Do you have a need for two Nagios instances, both monitoring
the same hosts/services, to be active at once?

-- A. Karl Kornel, Mindspeed Technologies, Inc.
karl.kornel at mindspeed.com -- (949) 579-3503
"Remember the Rules: Separation & Optimization"

* Yes, I know that having a virtual machine as one machine makes the
split-brain syndrome possible, since I don't have a serial connection
between the two.  I'm dealing with it.

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 11/19/2006 01:47:32
PM: