check_cciss plugin for monitoring RAID arrays on HP servers

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Fri Nov 17 15:11:16 CET 2006

Hi!

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Sim wrote:
> > It works for both IDA and CCISS devices and already returns the
> > retvals the way Nagios wants them.
>
> Hi!
>
> Can you post output an example of this ?
>
> Have you tryed all case? ( Rebuilding, Inter.Recovery, Fail, etc.. )

Ok state looks like this:
# arrayprobe
OK Arrayprobe All controllers ok
# echo $?
0

So far I've only seen Interim Recovery Mode which is a warning.
One could argue about that I guess, I found it to be ok for my
use case.

Failure is critical, which is definitely what I'd expect.

What I like most about it is its simpleness and yet it's useful
outside of Nagios, too. getting at the log of the controller is
nice, too:

# arrayprobe -r
Retrieving logical drive information from controller
/dev/cciss/c0d0
Number of logical volumes (00 00 00 08) : 1
Controller /dev/cciss/c0d0 reports 1 logical drives
Logical drive 0 found on controller /dev/cciss/c0d0
Event code 5/0/0
at 8-26-2004 01:37:22
with message: State change, logical drive 0
logical drive 0, changed from state 2 to 0
state 2: Logical drive is not configured
state 0: Logical drive is ok

Event code 5/2/0
at 9-5-2005 11:09:26
with message: Parity/consistency initialization complete, logical
drive 0

Event code 4/0/0
at 11-14-2006 17:55:33
with message: Physical drive failure: SCSI port 1 ID 1
physical drive 1 has failed with failurecode 5.
this drive is part of a logical drive

Event code 5/0/0
at 11-14-2006 17:55:33
with message: State change, logical drive 0
logical drive 0, changed from state 0 to 3
state 0: Logical drive is ok
state 3: Logical drive is using interim recovery mode

Event code 1/0/0
at 11-17-2006 13:01:33
with message: Hot-plug drive removed: SCSI port 1 ID 1

Event code 1/0/1
at 11-17-2006 13:01:52
with message: Hot-plug drive inserted: SCSI port 1 ID 1

Event code 5/0/0
at 11-17-2006 13:01:52
with message: State change, logical drive 0
logical drive 0, changed from state 3 to 4
state 3: Logical drive is using interim recovery mode
state 4: Logical drive is ready for recovery operation

Event code 5/0/0
at 11-17-2006 13:01:52
with message: State change, logical drive 0
logical drive 0, changed from state 4 to 5
state 4: Logical drive is ready for recovery operation
state 5: Logical drive is is currently recovering

Event code 5/0/0
at 11-17-2006 13:52:29
with message: State change, logical drive 0
logical drive 0, changed from state 5 to 0
state 5: Logical drive is is currently recovering
state 0: Logical drive is ok

Event code 0/0/0
with message: No events to report.

failed to open device /dev/ida/c0d0: No such device or address
Logical drive 0 on controller /dev/cciss/c0d0 has state 0
OK Arrayprobe All controllers ok

Regards,
Tobias

> Thanks