Plugin error: Remote cisco command via SSH notworking

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 16 16:58:30 CET 2006

Javier Castillo Alcibar wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have some cisco routers that can only be managed using SSH. I wrote an
> script, to do remotely some PING's from these routers, integrated in
> nagios.
>
> My problem is very strange:
> 	- if a execute this script from the command line by myself, it
> works as expected.
> 	- if nagios process executes the script, it does not work. It
> looks like ssh process didn't return anything....
>
> I think it's a problem related with ttys.....but I'm not sure.
>
> This is my (perl) script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> #
> <ip> <warn-rate> <crit-rate> # use Net::SSH::Perl;
>
> $router=$ARGV[0];
> $port=$ARGV[1];
> $user=$ARGV[2];
> $pass=$ARGV[3];
> $ip=$ARGV[4];
> $warn=$ARGV[5];
> $crit=$ARGV[6];
>
> my $sesion_ssh = Net::SSH::Perl->new($router, protocol=>1,
> cipher=>'DES', port=>$port); $sesion_ssh->login($user, $pass);
>
> $command="ping $ip";
>
> my($output, $output_error, $val_exit) = $sesion_ssh->cmd($command);
>
> $output =~ /Success rate is (\d*) (.*)/; $rate=$1;
>
> if ( $rate <= $crit ) {
>         print "PROBLEM: PING Rate=$rate%\n";
>         exit 2;
> }
> if ( $rate <= $warn ) {
>         print "WARNING: PING Rate=$rate%\n";
>         exit 1;
> }
> if ( $rate <= 100 ) {
>         print "OK: PING Rate=$rate%\n";
>         exit 0;
> }
> exit 3;
>

> Any help is welcome!!.

Have you compiled nagios with embedded perl support? If so, use
/usr/bin/perl /path/to/your/script.pl

instead of just

/path/to/your/script.pl

in the command definition.

Other than that, make sure that the nagios-user has access to execute
the script and try it from the command-line *as the nagios user*. If
that works, you've made some mistake in your configuration.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se