A question regarding nagios-statd-{client, server} and NRPE

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Tue Nov 14 22:04:10 CET 2006

Morris, Patrick wrote:
> [...]
Well, I think this discussion is sort of moot now, as I've found that
NRPE does in fact seem to supersede nagios-statd-{client,server}.  The
nagios-statd client/server combo (for which development has been
stopped) limited you to only a handful of hardcoded checks.  NRPE
client/server gives you the ability to remotely check _anything_ that
you have a plugin for.  So, for example, if the LDAP port is blocked to
anything external to a given cluster, but you still want to check if it
is running from a remote Nagios server, you could pass the check_ldap
plugin to NRPE, and you'd have the information you desire.  Thank you
again for trying to help me understand this!

Best Regards,
Ryan

--
Ryan Steele
Systems Administrator               steele at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, DE 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com