UTF8 Japanese characters in macros

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 14 08:19:48 CET 2006

チャンドラ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running nagios 2.5 on SuSE 10.1, and I would like to include
> japanese in my mail notifications.  SuSE is set up to use UTF8 as the
> base language, and I am using the standard host-notify-by-email command
> provided in the example configs as below:
>
> /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios  *****\n\nNotification Type:
> $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:
> $HOSTADDRESS$\n$HOSTNOTES$\n\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:
> $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for
> $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
>
> note the use of $HOSTNOTES$, this is where I would like to include the
> japanese location of the device having problems.
>
> for example I have the following hostextinfo entry:
>
> define hostextinfo{
> host_name	mail
> notes		[room name in japanese UTF8]
> }
>
> However, the mail arrives with an empty line where the notes information
> should be.  If I include some english in the notes section, for example
> "Location: [Japanese]" the mail contains "Location: ", but not the rest.
>
> Both printf and mail work fine with UTF8 japanese, and tests using only
> the $HOSTNOTES$ macro yeilds similar results (nothing output).
> The CGI's work fine, and display the japanese, so it seems the macro
> processing is not able to handle the characters.
>
> Has anyone had similar problems, and is there a solution?

Certain characters are blocked from being output by Nagios when it
executes commands. One way to work around it once and for all would be
to teach it to grok a command-line properly and exec() all external
commands instead of using the shell (via popen()). Because this is
pretty intrusive and any bugs will have big impact on the core of how
Nagios works patches should be tested and re-tested before being sent in.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se