timeouts when using secondary dns

Giles Coochey GilesC at CarmenMedia.com
Thu Nov 9 12:49:04 CET 2006

________________________________

	From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of stucky
	Sent: 07 November 2006 00:21
	To: nagios
	Subject: [Nagios-users] timeouts when using secondary dns

	Guys

	I use the check_by_ssh plugin for most of my stuff and I noticed
that if the primary nameserver is unavailable nagios starts freaking
out.
	All of a sudden all plugins time out. I tested it using the
'host' command and it only takes about 1 second longer to lookup hosts
using the secondary nameserver.
	The default timeout for check_by_ssh is 10 seconds. I cranked it
up to 30 and still I get timeouts. I'm not sure I understand that one.
	Has anyone else seen this.

A bit of a guess, but is this something to do with the SSH host
signatures, perhaps ssh only checks the host signature for the hostname
and if that fails it checks the host signature for the IP address. If
you don't have that signature for the IP address in your known_hosts
file ssh might timeout indefinately within the plugin execution.