Esx checks

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 8 23:56:59 CET 2006

Derek Balling [mailto:deballing at vassar.edu] wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:
> > As far as I know, there is no way to find out the IP
> address of an ESX
> > guest OS without connecting to it (eg by logging in to the virtual
> That can't be true. VirtualCenter routinely tells me what IP address
> a guest VM is using.
>
> Maybe there's some VC nonsense that happens, but it seems like you
> might be able to get at that info using the ESX Perl API or something?

OK, looking in there, Virtual Centre does indeed state the IP address of
the guest.
How on earth does it find that out??  I assume it must be getting sent
from the vmware tools daemon running on the guest (which implies that
vmware tools must be running to know it).  However, I cannot find this
information under the /proc/vmware tree on the ESX server (we have v2.x,
it may be different on 3.x) so it's not clear where it is kept and if it
is accessible to us.

On a separate note, while Easter-egging for where it stores the IP
address info, I've found where it keeps the per-VM UserRPC counts (a
good indicator of if your VM is using too many sys calls making it a bad
virtualisation candidate) so I can incorporate this into check_esx v2.6.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway
ITSS, University of Auckland