Watch Printers/Print Server?

Frode E. Nyboe frodeen at eunet.no
Wed Nov 8 09:25:02 CET 2006

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> I have some awful printers/print server at work. It is shared out via a
> Windows 2000 workstation to all other printers on the network. Is it
> possible to watch for the availability of the printers via the print server?
>
> This would be nice. It's a generic windows print sharing service so
> should be quite standard. On another windows workstation it shows in the
> Printers folder when the printers are unavailable.
>
> Thanks

(I must state that I am pretty new to Nagios, and there certainly is
smarter ways to solve this - this is a simple way to check the printer
status :)

I would believe that the print server reads the printers status from the
printer via SNMP (?).

You will by this example be able to monitor the printers directly - not
via the the print server as you asked.

One simple way to do this is using check_snmp to check the printers
hrDeviceStatus.  In this query it checks for the return of two statuses
Running (2) and Warning (3).  This states are considered OK to Nagios.

Warning is normally issued if the printer nags for a refill of toner
(replacement not necessary yet) or for some printers when they need to
change the waste tray.

10.10.10.10 is the ip of the printer.

check_snmp -H 10.10.10.10 -C public -o hrDeviceStatus.1 -r "2|3"

$USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -l STATUS -C public -o $ARG1$ -r $ARG2$

It's not necessary but I also ping the printers - it makes it easier for
me to determine quickly if printer is shut off for some reason.

Just my 2 cents - hope it helped :)

If someone have a good hint on how to monitor replacement of toners on
printers (mostly Canon an HP) I would be very happy - Is this printer
specific? Do I have to check for each instance (one for black, cyan,
magneta and yellow etc.) on each printer with different OIDs :O ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Frode E. Nyboe