Using Nagios to monitor "service-less" hosts

Sloane, Robert Raymond sloane at ku.edu
Tue Nov 7 17:58:50 CET 2006

> JOOI, why is it said that a host check degrades performance?

As Giles Coochey mentioned earlier, host checks may cause performance
problems because they are not scheduled in the same way as service
checks.  To quote the documentation again:

Also of note - when Nagios is check the status of a host, it holds off
on doing anything else (executing new service checks, processing other
service check results, etc). This can slow things down a bit and cause
pending service checks to be delayed for a while, but it is necessary to
determine the status of the host before Nagios can take any further
action on the service(s) that are having problems.

If your system can handle the overhead of running host checks every
minute, that is fine, but I think people should be aware of the possible
consequences of running "service-less" hosts.  As for me, I just add a
PING service to any host that doesn't have any other services.  It does
what you want, in that it can be scheduled to run every minute, but it
doesn't slow down other processing.
--
Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
Email:sloane at ku.edu http://www.ku.edu/home/sloane Phone:(785)864-0444