Using Nagios to monitor "service-less" hosts

Fermín Galán Márquez fermin.galan at cttc.es
Tue Nov 7 16:08:50 CET 2006

Hello,

I would like to use Nagios just to monitor the aliveness (i.e., UP/DOWN
status) of a set of hosts. However, looking to the documentation and the
sample that comes with the just installed software, I've seen that in order
to do so two pieces of configuration are needed: a host declarartion (in the
hosts.cfg file) using 'check-host-alive' command and a service declaration
(in the services.cfg) file, expecifing a "PING" service using 'check_ping'
as monitoring command (*).

(*) However, from miscommands.cfg, it seems that check-host-alive command
implementation is actually based on check_ping.

Just defining the host (without the corresponding "PING" service
declaration) doesn't seems to work: the host remains in "PENDING" state
forever (with status information "Not enough data to determine host status
yet"). It seems that Nagios deduces a host is UP if the services running in
it are UP (so "Host *assumed* to be up"), but doesn't perform explicit
monitoring of the host "itself".

Is that right? Why don't fully decouple host-monitoring from service
monitoring?

Declaring the "PING" service is not an actual problem to me, but I'd just
like to clarify this is the Nagios "phylosophy" :)

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Fermín Galán Márquez
CTTC - Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia, Av. del Canal Olímpic s/n, 08860
Castelldefels, Spain
Room 1.02
Tel : +34 93 645 29 12
Fax : +34 93 645 29 01