Advanced permissions/user properties

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 6 16:44:36 CET 2006

Alex Burger wrote:
> r: View in web interface
>
> x: Submit commands for this host/service
>
> w: Not really needed yet.  Maybe some of the other programs that allow
> you to modify the configuration files could use w to allow a user to
> modify the host / service.
>
> n: Notify if contact has a pager or email defined
>
> I also changed it so that you will only see a service if you are a
> contact for it.  I think this is the same change that Ton mentioned in
> his last email.  I did this to test the 'r' permission.
>
> For backwards compatibility, the default would be rwxn.

Attached is an updated patch that adds a 'default_permissions' option to
nagios.cfg and cgi.cfg that Steve Shipway suggested.  From
sample-config/cgi.cfg.in:

# DEFAULT HOST/SERVICE PERMISSIONS
# This option contains a list of default permissions for hosts and
# services that will be used when permissions are not explicitly
# set on a host or service.  When not defined, the default is all
# permissions (rwxn).  Note:  This option must be set the same in
# both cgi.cfg and nagios.cfg.

#default_permissions=rwxn

As you can see, the option needs to be in both config files although I
would prefer to have it only in nagios.cfg.  It is needed in nagios.cfg
for base/notifications.c which has nothing to do with the cgi.  If
someone knows how to combine the two, please let me know, but I suspect
that the cgi and main nagios programs are completely separate from each
other.

If anyone can do some testing I would appreciate it.

Alex