Advanced permissions/user properties

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 6 05:04:14 CET 2006

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Steve Shipway wrote:
>
>> Alex Burger wrote:
>>> Leave the groups as they are, but modify the host and service
>>> contact_groups command?  For example:
>>>  define host{
>>>           host_name               localhost
>>>           contact_groups          netops:rw, helpdesk:r
>>> }
>>>
>>> For backwards compatibility, if no permissions are set, the defaults
>>> would be rw so the following would be the same:
>>>
>>> define host{
>>>           host_name               localhost
>>>           contact_groups          netops, helpdesk:r
>>> }
>>>
> To remain in the traditional unix style. How about an eXecute flag?
>
> In this contact it would best be written as Notify flag instead.
>
> So I can have 1 group as nrw (the engineers on call), customer on nr,
> helpdesk on r.

How about:

r: View in web interface

x: Submit commands for this host/service

w: Not really needed yet.  Maybe some of the other programs that allow
you to modify the configuration files could use w to allow a user to
modify the host / service.

n: Notify if contact has a pager or email defined

I also changed it so that you will only see a service if you are a
contact for it.  I think this is the same change that Ton mentioned in
his last email.  I did this to test the 'r' permission.

For backwards compatibility, the default would be rwxn.

So, the engineers would have: nrx, customer: nr and helpdesk r.

Attached is an updated patch.

Alex