Authentication problem (apache basic)

Brad Clemmons Jr brad.clemmons at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:33:56 CEST 2006

Ok, I know this is probably a problem with my configuration so I need new
eyes to look at this.
I have nagios configured and working WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION
(use_authentication=0 in cgi.cfg). If I turn on authentication I don't even
get a login prompt on the page for nagios.

Here is my script alias stuff in httpd.conf with the auth parameters:

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin /opt/nagios/sbin
    <Directory /opt/nagios/sbin>
        AllowOverride None
        Options +ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        AuthName "Nagios Access"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthUserFile /opt/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
        Require valid-user
    </Directory>

  Alias /nagios /opt/nagios/share
    <Directory /opt/nagios/share>
        Options None
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
   </Directory>

The htpasswd.users file was created using the following command syntax:

htpasswd -c /opt/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users myusername

I made sure the correct user/groups could read the htpasswd.users file:

chown root.apache /opt/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
chmod 640 /opt/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users

In my cgi.cfg I have use authentication=1 and all commands below it I have
the username I added (ie: authorized_for_system_information=myusername).

At any rate, I get to my nagios main page without any request for login.  So
at the top of the Tactical overview page I have this:
 Tactical Monitoring Overview
Last Updated: Tue May 30 13:25:34 EDT 2006
Updated every 90 seconds
Nagios(r) - www.nagios.org
Logged in as ?

Now, Once I click on one of the cgi pages like Service Details, I get the
following message:

It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any
of the services you requested...
If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication
requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.

I checked the apache error.log and there's nothing in there recently except
the apache restart notices when I restart apache.
[Tue May 30 12:50:40 2006] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart
[Tue May 30 12:50:40 2006] [notice] Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux)
mod_python/2.7.10 Python/2.3.4 PHP/4.3.10-16 mod_perl/1.29 configured --
resuming normal operations

Any idea's as to why it never prompted me to log in? Also, this is on Apache
1.3 and Nagios 2.3.

-Thanks