NRPE SSL connection errors

Lundgren, Scott SELundgr at email.uncc.edu
Tue May 30 20:28:32 CEST 2006

I have two servers I am monitoring with NRPE 2.0. One works, one does
not and I'm running out of ideas of configuration settings that must not
be the same to have this happen:

root at nagioshost # ./check_nrpe -H servera -c check_apache
OK - 12 processes running with UID = 155 (apache)
root at nagioshost # ./check_nrpe -H serverb -c check_apache
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

nagioshost, servera and serverb are all Solaris 9.
nagioshost is running nagios 1.2, check_nrpe 2.0
I have confirmed with ldd that NRPE is compiled with SSL support.
servera & serverb both have copies of the same NRPE 2.0 binary.
servera & serverb both have the SSL libraries that the NRPE binary was
compiled against
servera & serverb both have /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg owned by
nagios:nagios and chmod'd 644
servera & serverb both have "nrpe 5666/tcp #NRPE" in /etc/services
servera & serverb both have "*.nrpe *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN" in netstat
-a|grep nrpe
servera & serverb both have "nrpe stream tcp nowait nagios
/usr/sfw/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i" in /etc/inetd.conf

Here's the difference:
if I telnet from nagioshost to servera on port 5666 (from nrpe.cfg) I
can count to 20 and when I enter some text followed by enter, servera
closes the connection
if I telnet from nagioshost to serverb on port 5666 (from nrpe.cfg) I
can only count to 5 before serverb closes the connection.
if I repeat the task from nagioshost to serverb and start typing as soon
as prompted serverb will close the connection in the middle of typing.

So i think what is happening is that the connection is closing before
the SSL handshake is completed or the NRPE handoff to a local command.
How do I figure out what in serverb is closing the connection so fast?

Scott Lundgren
ITS - Web Services
UNC at Charlotte
http://www.uncc.edu <http://www.uncc.edu/>