nrpe sockect timeouts

Greg Cope, e-DBA Team greg.cope at e-dba.net
Tue May 30 11:18:00 CEST 2006

HI All,

When some of my hosts get a little busy (load 4+) I get loads of socket
timeouts.

Is the level of SSL (AES-something) I am using too high?

Does the nrpe daemon need to be niced to get it some CPU?  Or do people
use xinetd?  Each host runs about 10 local, nrpe checks every 5 mins or
so.

Extending the socket timeout on check_nrpe can be done globally on the
nagios server, but this seems a kludge as 10secs should be more than
enough to get a connection.

Any thoughts?

Greg