Nagios Acknowledgement Information

Eduardo Martinez emartine at bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu May 25 23:03:58 CEST 2006

In the old version of Nagios I remember receiving Acknowledgement
notifications with the author and their comment. Version 2 requires the
variables $HOSTACKAUTHORS$ and $HOSTACKCOMMENT$ so I have edited the
misccommands.cfg file to look like this:

# 'host-notify-by-email' command definition

define command{

        command_name    host-notify-by-email

        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState:
$HOSTSTATE$\nAuthor: $HOSTACKAUTHOR$\nComment: $

HOSTACKCOMMENT$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:
$LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!"
$CONTACTEMAIL$

        }

# 'host-notify-by-epager' command definition

define command{

        command_name    host-notify-by-epager

        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Host '$HOSTALIAS$' is
$HOSTSTATE$\nAuthor: $HOSTACKAUTHOR$\nComment: $HOSTACKCOMMENT$\nInfo:
$HOSTOUTPUT$\nTime: $LONGDATETIME$" | /bin

/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - Host $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$"
$CONTACTPAGER$

        }

# 'notify-by-email' command definition

define command{

        command_name    notify-by-email

        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nStat

e: $SERVICESTATE$\nAuthor: $HOSTACKAUTHOR$\nComment:
$HOSTACKCOMMENT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional
Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ aler

t - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$

        }

# 'notify-by-epager' command definition

define command{

        command_name    notify-by-epager

        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Service: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost:
$HOSTNAME$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\nAuthor:
$HOSTACKAUTHOR$\nComment: $HOSTACKCOMM

ENT$\nInfo: $SERVICEOUTPUT$\nDate: $LONGDATETIME$" | /bin/mail -s
"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$"
$CONTACTPAGER$

        }

By adding the $HOSTACKAUTHORS$ and $HOSTACKCOMMENT$ The only thing I have
accomplished in doing here was adding the new lines for author and comment
to the notifications we receive but no actual data is sent with it.

So I guess I am not quite understanding from the documentation that "These
macros are only valid in notifications where the $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ macro is
set to "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT"."

What I am trying to accomplish is have the acknowledgement author and
comment information that are inputted from the Nagios page to show up in the
notifications.

Eddie M.

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this email message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal.  Thank you.