How to reduce a very high latency number

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 24 18:09:12 CEST 2006

Each submits all check results to each master in series --

$ tail -3 submit_check_result
        /bin/echo -e "$1\t$2\t$return_code\t$4\n" |
/usr/local/nagios/bin/send_nsca master1 -p 5668 -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/send_nsca.cfg
        /bin/echo -e "$1\t$2\t$return_code\t$4\n" |
/usr/local/nagios/bin/send_nsca master2 -p 5668 -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/send_nsca.cfg
        /bin/echo -e "$1\t$2\t$return_code\t$4\n" |
/usr/local/nagios/bin/send_nsca master3 -p 5669 -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/send_nsca.cfg

I've never seen failures and all checks are current on my masters.

> An install I'm testing at the moment has around 4000 services on 3
minute
> check split between an active master and a single slave (i.e. master
> performing half the checks actively) Of the 2000ish distributed
services,
> I see anything up to 10 failed passive submits per hour with NSCA
running
> as a daemon on the master. From some perliminary debugging, a
connection
> is made but hangs and times out before doing anything useful.
>
> I've ditched a nagios setup that was processing 10,000 monitors split
over
> 7 or 8 slaves as the latency made it unusable. I'd assumed the pipe on
the
> master just couldn't handle the volume of results coming in and was
losing
> passive results, not that there was much time to investigate it
properly
> (is there ever)

I've heard that as well but have yet to experience it.

-
Marc