Jabber Custom Notification Script Not Working

Norman Harebottle nharebottle at vikus.com
Wed May 24 13:02:34 CEST 2006

I have saved the file in /usr/bin but have also tried having it in
/usr/local/bin and it does not make a difference.

The name of the script on my machine is "notify-jabber" and the
notification command that I have tried in the nagios configuration is
the following:

# This command is used to notify recipients of service problems:
# 'notify-by-jabber' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-by-jabber
        command_line    /usr/bin/notify-jabber $CONTACTADDRESS1$
"$HOSTNAME$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$\r\nAdditional Info:
$SERVICEOUTPUT$"
}

# This command is used to notify recipients of host problems:
# 'host-notify-by-jabber' command definition
define command{
        command_name    host-notify-by-jabber
        command_line    /usr/bin/notify-jabber $CONTACTADDRESS1$
"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$\n$HOSTOUTPUT$"
        }

I have configured the Jabber recipients as follows in my contact
configuration:

# This defines the generic template
define contact {
        name                            system-administrator

        host_notification_period        24x7
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        host_notification_commands
host-notify-by-epager,host-notify-by-jabber

        service_notification_period     24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        service_notification_commands
notify-by-epager,notify-by-jabber

        register                        0
        }

# This defines a specific contact instance
define contact {
        use                             system-administrator

        contact_name                    [joe]
        alias                           [joe blow]

        pager                           [pager email address]
        address1                        [joeblow at jabber.mydomain.net]
}

I appreciate any insight you can offer!

Sincerely,