How to reduce a very high latency number

Jacob Ritorto jritorto at nut.net
Wed May 24 12:33:23 CEST 2006

        There's the rub, I bet.  If you run nsca as a daemon, it only
allows one connection per instance, whereas running it via inetd (or
setting up smf to handle multiple instances) will spawn enough
instances to handle any ingress.
       Thanks for the hint, Patrick.  I'm currently in the process of
converting the old Nagios server I inherited into a distributed system
and will certainly keep this caveat in mind during the buildout.
       I do think there's value in my hack, though I'll probably not
use it in the future until we start to feel the hit from many, many
check results coming in.  It seems to save on cpu and bandwidth
because it doesn't have to set up a new call for each individual check
result.  This logic should, I feel, tie in with the
aggregate_status_updates setting in nagios.cfg, but I've not dug
through the source yet and don't know if doing so would overload that
feature..

Thanks to all for the insight.

Jacob