Jabber Custom Notification Script Not Working

Norman Harebottle nharebottle at vikus.com
Tue May 23 14:52:19 CEST 2006

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has had success getting the Jabber Notification
script written by David Cox to work.

I have a user called nagios under which nagios runs and using "su
nagios" (on Debian) I can run the script and it notifies just fine. So I
am concluding that it is not a security related issue nor a script
execution error since it works correctly.  However, when running the
Perl script in the Embedded Perl environment, something happens (which
is not logged) which causes the script to not execute as desired.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a logging directive to enable so
that I can see any Perl errors that may be generated in the process?

Current nagios.cfg logging settings:
log_archive_path=/var/log/nagios/archives
log_event_handlers=1
log_external_commands=1
log_file=/var/log/nagios2/nagios.log
log_host_retries=1
log_initial_states=0
log_notifications=1
log_passive_checks=1
log_rotation_method=d
log_service_retries=1
use_syslog=1

Abbbreviated contents of /var/log/nagios2/nagios.log:
[1148388211] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: norman;weathervane;Service: Jabber
Notification Test;CRITICAL;notify-by-jabber;No process matching ping
found : CRITICAL

I appreciate any insight into this problem would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Norman H. Harebottle III
Software Engineer
Vikus Corporation