Host retry interval

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Mon May 22 22:42:18 CEST 2006

* Kyle Tucker <kylet at panix.com> [2006-05-22 14:45]:
> 	I have many hosts that are constantly giving me DOWN/UP state as they
> are unreachable for certain periods. In an attempt to give the system more
> time to become available, I increased the max_check_attempts from 2 to 5. At
> 2 the interval between retry attempts was 10 seconds. Now at 5, the interval
> is 7 seconds. I'd like to have this interval higher for some hosts, but
> there's a real scary note on the hosts check_interval option to not use it
> if you can help it.

Using `check_interval' within a host definition would activate regularly
scheduled checks of the host as opposed to checking the host on-demand
only.  The directive you'd want is `retry_check_interval', but such a
thing doesn't exist for host checks.

> Is this my only option or is there a better way?

With Nagios 2.x, there is no "real" solution, you can only use
workarounds such as defining host escalations in order to suppress the
first notification.  AFAICS, this will be solved with Nagios 3.x.

> I am also following the thread titled "Workaround for 'Host DOWN'
> false-positives"

This might be another useful workaround, haven't looked at it yet.

Holger

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE