check_megaraid fails in Nagios 2.0 on Debian 3.1

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon May 22 19:59:32 CEST 2006

Always perform your tests as the nagios user. The nagios user won't have
the same access rights as the root user so tests that work as root may
not work for the nagios user. It wouldn't have mattered in this
particular case but it's good practice.

> But in the Nagios web console on the same server I receive this error:
>
> **ePN 'check_megaraid' Global symbol "$runtimedir" requires explicit
> package name at (eval 6) line 51.
>
> Has anyone here successfully run the check_megaraid plugin on Nagios
2.0?

I don't use it but have some suggestions. Since this is a non-standard
plugin you should provide pointers to download the specific version you
are using when asking for help. There are a couple of check_megaraid
plugins that I've found but none use the variable $runtimedir.

It would appear that this plugin is not written to be compatible with
the Nagios embedded Perl interpreter. I would hazard a guess that your
1.3 installations were compiled without the ePN but your nagios-2
installation was. This should have been a problem for 1.3 as well since
the plugin requirements are the same. You can either --

1) recompile your nagios-2 installations without the ePN.
2) modify the plugin to be compatible with the ePN
	- This may be as simple as adding 'my $runtimedir;' somewhere
before the first use of that variable.
	- other guidelines to make perl plugins compatible with the ePN
are available here --
http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#PERLPLUGIN

--
Marc