Monitoring Windows servers

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Mon May 22 13:50:02 CEST 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Oliver Marshall wrote:

> I have spent the last week looking for a monitoring solution. I have
> been assessing Nagios, Zabbix, and Servers Alive for Windows.
>
> Servers Alive may seem perfect, though its clearly more expensive than
> the rest. I think it may have an issue monitoring clients servers on
> other domains etc as it lacks some form of remote authentication.
>
> Zabbix I will admit is my preference as it's all web based. It's windows
> agent means that I can get local info and, more importantly, run a
> script on the client server and get the results. However, the
> documentation is truly terrible and the Windows side is even worse. The
> last thing I need is someone to cock-up a monitoring setup and then
> never get informed of any issues.
>
> Nagios is clearly the daddy when it comes to network monitoring, though
> it does require a level of linux knowledge that we just don't have here
> (ssh access to setup the config for starters). I know that there is a
> web based tool for setting up the monitoring config (Nagat or something)
> but that's now not being supported or added to, and it's policy to not
> use out-of-support products. I know there is also a 3rd party Windows
> Agent that can run on the servers and monitor local events, though it
> doesn't have scripting support, and it's not part of the main build, and
> hasn't been updated for sometime.
>
> Does anyone have anything useful I should consider when looking at
> Nagios ? Any other web based config tools that can be used? Any other
> windows agents etc ? Any comments on my opinions so far ?

When looking at Nagios and specially the plugins world, there are a couple
place to look.  There is the main nagios-plugins distribution which covers
a core set of functionality and there are a host of additional plugins
that have been contributed and are available via nagios-exchange.
Both have active support on the mailing lists.

For Windows - you have a couple of choices: NSClient/NSClient++/NC_Net and
NRPE_NT.  NRPE_NT allows you to write Windows scripts and extend the
pluging capability.  A number for wmi scripts are hosted on
nagios-exchange.

--
-sg