Vedr.: Monitoring Windows servers

Thomas Jens Lauritsen tjl at topdanmark.dk
Mon May 22 11:39:11 CEST 2006

Hello Oliver,

When choosing a monitoring software one should look into what the needs
are.
How much time should be used on the project. What is the resources inside
the company.

If you don't have the resources for linux, then don't use Nagios. However
if you want to use the time to
build up a linux knowhow to be able to handle Nagios then it's fine.

I use SNMP to check all kinds of things on our win boxes. CPU, DISKSPACE,
TASKS, UPTIME, NETWORK

I don't use any agent other then the SNMP-agent. Howerver it take sometime
to get used to the SNMP-enviroment.

Best regards

Thomas

"Oliver Marshall" <Oliver.Marshall at g2support.com>
Sendt af: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
22-05-2006 11:01

        Til:    <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
        cc:
        Vedr.:  [Nagios-users] Monitoring Windows servers

I have spent the last week looking for a monitoring solution. I have
been assessing Nagios, Zabbix, and Servers Alive for Windows.

Servers Alive may seem perfect, though its clearly more expensive than
the rest. I think it may have an issue monitoring clients servers on
other domains etc as it lacks some form of remote authentication.

Zabbix I will admit is my preference as it's all web based. It's windows
agent means that I can get local info and, more importantly, run a
script on the client server and get the results. However, the
documentation is truly terrible and the Windows side is even worse. The
last thing I need is someone to cock-up a monitoring setup and then
never get informed of any issues.

Nagios is clearly the daddy when it comes to network monitoring, though
it does require a level of linux knowledge that we just don't have here
(ssh access to setup the config for starters). I know that there is a
web based tool for setting up the monitoring config (Nagat or something)
but that's now not being supported or added to, and it's policy to not
use out-of-support products. I know there is also a 3rd party Windows
Agent that can run on the servers and monitor local events, though it
doesn't have scripting support, and it's not part of the main build, and
hasn't been updated for sometime.

Does anyone have anything useful I should consider when looking at
Nagios ? Any other web based config tools that can be used? Any other
windows agents etc ? Any comments on my opinions so far ?

Olly

reporting any issue.