How many parent hosts in a parent directives ?

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Mon May 22 01:48:41 CEST 2006

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

Firstly, thank you very much to all those who answered both on the list
and
privately.

For the benefit of the archives, the consensus of the replies is that
the hosts behind
multiple routers (the canonical example being a subnet with two routers
sharing the
host gateway address with HSRP/VRRP, although a more common example may
be a single gateway that
has multiple paths back to the monitoring host. In this case, the
gateway will have one or more parents
corresponding to routers in each of the paths) should enumerate each of
the routers in the parents
directive.

Nagios checks each of the routers marked as a parent and if _any_ of
them are up, then
the host is marked as DOWN (probably a SOFT state); otherwise - if all
the
parents are unreachable, then the host is marked as unreachable.

I think that Mr Eng's advice is consistent with this: the difference
being that the
HSRP is visble as a host and a service in the Nagios configuration and
that Nagios
will check the HSRP service by checking the reachability of the gateway
address (as
well as seperately checking the standby addresses).

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.