How to reduce a very high latency number

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Sat May 20 00:43:25 CEST 2006

On 5/18/06, Tedman Eng <teng at dataway.com> wrote:
> Try tuning the intercheck_delay_method setting.  This setting determines the
> initial spreading out of the checks in the queue  during a fresh start.
> Nagios tries to do a good job of this, but if you have some checks spaced at
> vastly different intervals, it skews the "flat average" formula used to
> calculate the smart setting.

Well, when I read this post I thought you had it.  I have tried
fiddling with this setting and related settings like
"auto_reschedule_checks", "auto_rescheduling_interval" and
"max_service_check_spread".  My main config was also missing a setting
for "use_retained_scheduling_info" (which defaults to 1) -- I thought
that some combination of these settings was surely to blame.

However, it just does not seem to be.  After all these config changes
there was hardly any change to my latency values.  I did see them come
down perhaps by 20-30 seconds, but its hard to tell since I have not
keep exact records since turning off performance monitoring.  In any
case, the bad server -- the one doing about 1800 checks -- still
hovers between 600-700 seconds of latency.  In fact, it gets up to 700
seconds of average latency right about the time that nagios has been
running for 700 seconds, at which point it stabilizes and hovers
around there.

Note that I have tried all suggestions so far -- the service reaper
frequency also had no discernible effect...  Also, if I did not
mention it, I am now running Nagios 2.3.1.

I have been doing all of this with embedded perl + caching.  I
recompiled without perlcache and could not tell a difference in
performance.  I have recompiled without embedded perl at all and the
behavior has changed, but not in a particularly good way.  When
previously I would stabilize at a latency of 600-700 seconds within
about 10 minutes (and see rapidly increasing latency values in the
first 90 seconds), now the latency values are taking a much longer
time to rise.  It has now been 35 minutes and the worst offender is up
to 535 second latency and is still increasing.  Also, while all
servers showed negligible load when running with embedded perl, I am
seeing an average of about 0.8 on my highest latency server...

Thanks for every one's contributions so far.  If anyone has another
suggestion, I'm all ears.

~trask