check_log false alarms

Julie S. Lin jlin at myvest.com
Thu May 18 23:04:20 CEST 2006

Hi

I am running Nagios 1.2 on RedHat 9.  I have check_log set up to monitor
oracle errors.  A cron jobs copies
a fresh copy of the appropriate log file to the nagios server every 5
min; The service is checked every 12 minutes.
Every once in a while (no pattern) I'll get a very odd and false alarm,
indicating many instances of the string.

Since I'm a relative newbie, perhaps I don't have this optimally
configured?   I have another check_log set up
in the same manner, just different log file and different string, and
that works fine!  If anyone has any suggestions
or ideas why this would be behaving differently, I'd greatly appreciate
it. thanks much in advance.

here is the error message

***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: LOGCHECK-Ora
Host: database
Address: 192.168.x.x
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Thu May 18 12:52:19 PDT 2006

Additional Info:

(547)  ORA-959 signalled during: alter tablespace DATAEXCHDBO coalesce...

here is my services.cfg entry....

define service{
        hostgroup_name                  db-server
        service_description             LOGCHECK-Ora
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           12
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  joe, julie
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,c
        check_command                   check_log_ora
        }

here is my checkcommands.cfg entry....
# 'check_log' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_log_ora
        command_line    $USER1$/check_log -F /tmp/dbmessages -O
/tmp/check_log_dbmessages -q "ORA-"
        }