How to reduce a very high latency number

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Wed May 17 23:20:50 CEST 2006

> My first reaction is to question why some checks are taking >15 minutes
> to complete (check execution time) and why you are allowing them to go
> that long. I only allow a maximum of 60 seconds for any service check to
> execute --
>
> (from nagios.cfg)
> service_check_timeout=60
> host_check_timeout=30
> event_handler_timeout=30
> notification_timeout=30
> ocsp_timeout=5
> perfdata_timeout=5

Hmm, you're right.  I actually started keeping tabs on execution time
/ latency values a few days ago and I see 1 spike of 929 seconds and
another of about 600 seconds on one service, but everything else (for
that service and others) is much more sane (less that 5 seconds).  My
service_check_timeout value is set to "120", so I don't know why those
checks got away like that...

> Some comparable stats from my servers --
>
> PIII 800/512MB 828 Service Checks -
>
> Check Execution Time:   0.13 sec        11.59 sec       7.984 sec
> Check Latency:  0.76 sec        15.54 sec       6.583 sec
> Percent State Change:   0.00%   6.25%   0.03%
>
> All active checks, load hangs out around 2.
>
> Another box, newer hardware, running nagios + cricket --
>
> 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron Processor 275, 2GB RAM, 1260 service checks --
>
> Check Execution Time:   0.04 sec        35.02 sec       6.675 sec
> Check Latency:  0.01 sec        38.16 sec       6.692 sec
> Percent State Change:   0.00%   9.47%   0.04%
>
> All active checks, load hangs out between 1 and 2.

Looks like your setup is performing better than mine and its not due
to the hardware.  I'm going to fiddle with some nagios.cfg settings
and see if I have any success.

Thanks for the response.

~trask