How to reduce a very high latency number

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 17 23:17:43 CEST 2006

[Trask wrote]
> I am still butting up against very high latency issues with my Nagios
> setup.  I feel like I must be missing something obvious because it
> doesn't seem like I have so many services that the servers cannot keep up.

I've noticed we get this problem when there are more than one or two hosts
down.  Because Nagios (we use 1.2) does host checks first, and sequentially,
a host check timing out can hold up everything else (we have >3000 checks to
run every 5 minutes).

To help out with this, I've reduced the timeouts and number of pings to
check hosts (so a host down takes less time to identify) and tried to
educate people to disable host checks when they know a host will be down for
a long time.

Finally, I do a restart of Nagios every day or so which resets the latency
back to 0.  Not ideal, but it helps.

I'd rather host checks were done in the same way as service checks, but I
can see why they aren't (to allow the system to not run service checks for
down hosts).

Steve