How to reduce a very high latency number

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Wed May 17 22:18:06 CEST 2006

Ok, I've decided to not wait before addressing the "tuning" doc
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/tuning.html).  Also, thanks
for the link Jim, there is some good information there.

(Doc)   1. Use aggregated status updates.
(me) Doing this.

(Doc)   2. Use a ramdisk for holding status data..
(me) Not doing this -- the doc says if "you're not using aggregated
status updates", so I skipped it.  Does anyone have any experience
with how helpful this would be?

(Doc)   3. Check service latencies to determine best value for maximum
concurrent checks.
(me) Currently set at 500 -- I've set it to 0 (no limit) and I have
done all the calculations and set it to 15% above the number of
concurrent checks I should need based on the timing.  Doesn't ever
seem to have any effect on latency.

(Doc)   4. Use passive checks when possible.
(me) About a third of our checks are passive (nrpe, that's considered
passive, right?).

(Doc)   5. Avoid using interpreted plugins.
(me) I use built-in plugins whenever possible, but otherwise it is a
Perl script 90% of the time.  Some of them are pretty complex, but...
(see #6)

(Doc)   6. Use the embedded Perl interpreter.
(me) I am doing this and using the "perlcache" option.  In fact, I
haven't even tried our setup without using the embedded perl
interpretter, so I might end up trying that out.

(Doc)  7. Optimize host check commands.
(me)  Did this -- currently using check_fping with "-n 1" and retrys
at 8.  I don't actually have any numbers before I did this, so I don't
know how much help it has been, but when I first read about it, I was
hoping for a lot more gain than I got...

(Doc)   8. Don't schedule regular host checks.
(me) We don't.

(Doc)   9. Don't use agressive host checking.
(me) We don't.

(Doc)  10. Increase external command check interval.
(me)  This is set to -1 right now on all of our hosts, but this is
probably only sensible for our central server (nag4).  I will
experiment with changing this to 10 seconds on our other servers and
see if that helps.

(Doc)  11. Optimize hardware for maximum performance.
(me)  P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 7200rpm IDE drive w/ DMA enabled.  Is
there a good way to see the current IO activity of the disk to see if
it is being hammered?  "top" shows the CPU and memory at very
reasonable levels.

Anyone have other tips?  Do my responses to these tuning
recommendations seem to make sense?