trouble installing plugins --with-openssl under ubuntu 5.10

nemir nemiria nemir at hotmail.com
Sat May 13 21:32:26 CEST 2006

I am having trouble compiling nagios-plugins 1.4.1 on an ubuntu 5.10 server.
  THe advice I have read in previous threads says to install openssl.  I am
new to apt-get, but it wasn't too hard.  Output from apt-get install openssl
is:

# apt-get install openssl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
openssl is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

# which openssl
/usr/bin/openssl

Whne I do a ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/bin I get the following summary.

config.status: creating po/Makefile
              --with-ping6-command: /bin/ping6 -n -U -w %d -c %d %s
               --with-ping-command: /bin/ping -n -U -w %d -c %d %s
                      --with-lwres: no
                       --with-ipv6: yes
                      --with-mysql: no
                    --with-openssl: no
                     --with-gnutls: no
      --enable-emulate-getaddrinfo: no
                       --with-perl: /usr/bin/perl
                     --with-cgiurl: /nagios/cgi-bin
                --with-nagios-user: nagios
               --with-nagios-group: nagios
               --with-trusted-path: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

Going through the ./configure output I notice:

checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking openssl/x509.h usability... no
checking openssl/x509.h presence... no
checking for openssl/x509.h... no
checking openssl/rsa.h usability... no
checking openssl/rsa.h presence... no
checking for openssl/rsa.h... no
checking openssl/pem.h usability... no
checking openssl/pem.h presence... no
checking for openssl/pem.h... no
checking openssl/crypto.h usability... no
checking openssl/crypto.h presence... no
checking for openssl/crypto.h... no
checking openssl/err.h usability... no
checking openssl/err.h presence... no
checking for openssl/err.h... no
checking ssl.h usability... no
checking ssl.h presence... no
checking for ssl.h... no

checking the config.log file I also notice:

configure:27062: checking openssl/ssl.h usability
configure:27074: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:72:25: error: openssl/ssl.h: No such file or directory
configure:27080: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

This is despite me having openssl installed as the notes suggest.  None of
those files it is searching for seem to exist on my box (with the exception
of crypto.h, but that was hardly a surprise).  What am I missing?  I tried
running apt-get install openssl-dev[el],  but it doesn't seem to exist under
that name here.

I am sure this is just something basic that I am not seeing at the moment,
but would really appreciate all hints and help available.

TIA

Nemir