Nagios -v works fine - Webpages don't!!!

Jan van der Merwe warpspasm at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 23:12:43 CEST 2006

Hi Guys,

I have Nagios setup on FC4. I'm trying to get the basic minimal.cfg to work
so that I have something to start from.

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg is the only cfg file that i have
left uncommented.

I have copied minimal.cfg-sample -> minimal.cfg

I have run nagios -v minimal.cfg and now errors where reported.

However, when I click on any of the Webpage scripts on the left:
/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?hostgroup=all&style=hostdetail
/nagios/cgi-bin/tac.cgi
etc...

I get the following error in the main screen:

Whoops!

Error: Could not read object configuration data!

Here are some things you should check in order to resolve this error:

1. Verify configuration options using the -v command-line option to check
for errors.
2. Check the Nagios log file for messages relating to startup or status data
errors.
3. Make sure you've compiled the main program and the CGIs to use the same
object data storage options (i.e. default text file or template-based file).

Make sure you read the documentation on installing, configuring and running
Nagios thoroughly before continuing. If all else fails, try sending a
message to one of the mailing lists. More information can be found at
http://www.nagios.org.

It is strange, nagios.cfg lists my log file as:
log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log

But there is nothing there???

Any pointers as to how I can go about getting this minimal.cfg to work at
least?

Thanks!
Chris