"Agentless" monitoring with Nagios?

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue May 16 22:13:36 CEST 2006

In message <C08F7254.27ECE%estair at ilm.com>,
Eli Stair writes:
>Even executing a remote command over SSH with the crypto overhead is faster
>in most situations (for me), and actually consumes less cycles on BOTH
>ends... This FSH project looks promising, though hasn't been updated since
>2001... A scary prospect for anything that is crypto/authentication based :)

Actually fsh is just a wrapper over ssh/rsh so it doesn't have any
security implications on it's own. It shares the security of the
underlying transport.

>I don't see any reason we couldn't whip up an active check script that runs
>a number of commands sequentially over the SSH session that's set up at the
>beginning, applies the results as separate passive service checks.  That's
>the only way I can think of to handle it, since each service check will
>otherwise be initiating a separate connection, at whatever rate is
>determined by its schedule in the queue.

check_by_ssh can run multiple commands in one shot and report each
output line to the proper service. See the -s flag and it's use with
multiple -C commands.

>Then again, check_by_fsh sounds nice too!  Have to look at SSH4
>features now that you mentioned it Steve.

One problem is that you have to keep a master ssh connection
permanently open and mangage the connection if you aren't using
fsh. For a lot of hosts (1000+), this could put a resource strain on
the server as ports are taken up and 1000 ssh permanent ssh process
are created.

One thing that would also be nice for check_by_ssh would be the
ability to use an ssh_agent for the keys. Sadly the current
check_by_ssh sanitizes the environment a bit too well and removed the
environment variables used to allow ssh to communicate with it's
agent.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard