"Agentless" monitoring with Nagios?

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Tue May 16 21:13:08 CEST 2006

Bringing up SNMP is a valid point (I'm currently handling ~25% of my active
service checks this way).  However there are a number of scenarios where the
load on both the server/network/client is significantly greater to pull down
a tree that needs processing (process table for instance), as the impact on
the client is fairly large to process its own /proc entries to generate the
values, pull them down sequentially, and parse the tree on the server.  Same
deal with a variety of network tables... Even Cisco/Foundry/etc do a
horrible job of having their devices process & generate ARP tables, etc.

Even executing a remote command over SSH with the crypto overhead is faster
in most situations (for me), and actually consumes less cycles on BOTH
ends... This FSH project looks promising, though hasn't been updated since
2001... A scary prospect for anything that is crypto/authentication based :)

I don't see any reason we couldn't whip up an active check script that runs
a number of commands sequentially over the SSH session that's set up at the
beginning, applies the results as separate passive service checks.  That's
the only way I can think of to handle it, since each service check will
otherwise be initiating a separate connection, at whatever rate is
determined by its schedule in the queue.

Then again, check_by_fsh sounds nice too!  Have to look at SSH4 features now
that you mentioned it Steve.

Just my thoughts.

/eli