check_ping $ARG1$ not passing

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Mon May 15 20:14:46 CEST 2006

Hello,

I have looked through the archive and forms, but I have not found any clues to the problem which
I am having.

I am trying to configure a command that uses the 'check_ping' plugin.  I am getting errors
that tell me that the check_ping plugin is not receiving the proper arguments.

check_ping: %s: Warning threshold must be integer or percentage!

I replaced the check_ping plugin with my own perl script to log what was being
passed into the script.  Strangely, some hose receive the proper arguments, while
others do not.

I am using;
nagios-plugins-1.4.2-1.2.el4.rf
nagios-2.3-1.rf

My check_ping command is as follows.
define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-service
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  mis
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notification_interval           1
        notification_period             24x7
        register                        0
}

define service{
       hostgroup_name                  *
        service_description             PING
        check_command                   check_ping!500.0,%10!800.0,%20
        notification_interval           360
}

I do not understand why the check_ping plugin would work for some hosts, but not others.
Has anyone on the list run into this?

Thanks,
Kirk

--