Alerts - Verbal notification - via phone

Chad Osmond chad.osmond at holburn.com
Thu May 11 20:24:21 CEST 2006

I've been thinking about this for a while.. It's a pretty easy thing to
setup believe it or not. Here is what you need to do:

Use Asterisk
Have Nagios create a text file containing the error message: "Host X is
down - service Y is not running"
Place that in /tmp/nagios-error
Create a .call file that dials out over a SIP provider, ATA Device, or
FXO card, (OR T1 if you're really serious) that will dial your phone,
and connect you to an extension (with recorded voice messages) that says
there is a problem, press 1 to hear the problem, 2 to acknowledge the
problem, 3 to call the next person on the list and so on.. Then listen
for input.

If they press 1, have Festival play the /tmp/nagios-error message and
return.
If they press 2, acknowledge the problem and don't call the next person
on the list..
If they press 3, generate another call file with a different phone
number.

I happen to value my sleep more then any non-redundant servers, so I
haven't implemented it here, but we do consulting and run both asterisk
and nagios in-house if you're interested in getting some help.

Chad