Configuration Advice

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu May 11 14:14:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 10:22 +0100, Robert Jackson wrote:
> I've finally managed to get my installation of Nagios (v2.3) and the
> Nagios
> Plugins (v1.4.3) running under CentOS (v4.3).
>
> I'm now after some advice if possible. I would like to know how the
> 'real world'
> have their systems configured.
>
> I want to be able to see all the ports on my network switches and also
> all devices
> connected to those ports on those switches.
>
> For example:
>
> FIREWALL(eth0)-------SWITCH-04 (port 01)--------------SWITCH-04
> WinXP PC (nic1)------- SWITCH-04 (port 02)--------------SWITCH-04
>  SWITCH-05(port 26) --SWITCH-04 (port 25)--------------SWITCH-04
>
> Would I have to define all the ports for all switches and devices as
> hosts? If
> so would I have to define host checks for the ports as well as obviously
> the
> service level checks?

<snip>
We're still pretty new to Nagios ourselves.  I would guess it depends on
whether or not all services are identical.  I found the Time-Saving
Tricks For Object Definitions page (docs/templatetricks.html) very
helpful in this regard.  Good luck - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net