Check_load

Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Wed May 10 20:05:46 CEST 2006

> > The reason behind my question is that we are also using CACTI for =20
> > monitoring the systems and it shows a 100% CPU load since last =20
> > night while Nagios didn=92t raise any alarm at all. I have to find =20
> > out whether it was a false alarm or there is a problem with my =20
> > Nagios setup ..
> It's confusing to refer to "100% CPU load" since load isn't measured =20
> in percentage (at least not in this case, not usually). Referring to =20
> it as 100% CPU usage, or utilization, might be better.
>
> For example, it's possible to have a CPU load of "0" and usage of =20
> 100%. How? If I've only got one process making use of CPU cycles, and =20=
>
> it's getting 100% of the CPU. If there's nothing else waiting for =20
> CPU, the "load" will not be high, even though the usage (from the =20
> single running process) will be.

It may depend on the OS, but most that I'm familiar with don't calculate
load from waiting processes and use the run queue.  So even running
processes contribute to the load.

A host with a single CPU-bound job should tend to 100% CPU and a load
average near 1.0.  Whether that should be an "error" depends on the
application.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com