how to use snmp

Paul Archer parcher at bcm.edu
Wed May 10 02:38:09 CEST 2006

I can't give you any advice one way or the other on SNMP; however, you
might want to look at the alternative of using ssh for monitoring. Setup a
'nagios' user on the client with appropriate ssh keys on the server. Use
forced commands in 'authorized_keys' for safety, and have the Nagios
server log into the client to check what it needs to check.
It's probably no harder than setting up SNMP (much easier if you're not
familiar with SNMP to begin with), and it's more secure.

Paul

--
# pwd