SMS Text Message help

Peter Shankland Peter.Shankland at ricoh-rpl.com
Tue May 9 20:10:54 CEST 2006

Have tried various solutions like this - the one I used was from
sms2email.com. The problem with all of these products is that they go from
Email to SMS.... what happens if your Email fails?

I have actually managed to get this smsclient.org solution working by
changing the timeout of the notifications within nagios.cfg

Pete.

|         |           Paul Archer      |
|         |           <parcher at bcm.edu>|
|         |           09/05/2006 18:55 |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       Peter Shankland <Peter.Shankland at ricoh-rpl.com>                                                                             |
  |       cc:       nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net                                                                                          |
  |       Subject:  RE: [Nagios-users] SMS Text Message help                                                                                    |

Out of curiosity, have you tried simply sending an email to your
phone/pager/whatever-it-is? For example, a Sprint phone can recieve an SMS
message sent to an email address like 5551234567 at messaging.sprintpcs.com

Paul

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Peter Shankland wrote:

> Getting somewhere now. It looks as though the problem was with me not
using
> -q to supress the output from sms_client (thanks Phil Randal) but also
the
> nagios user not being able to write to /dev/ttyS0, /etc/ and /var/lock/
>
> The problem I now have is that the plugin takes about 60 seconds to run,
> but timesout after 30 seconds through Nagios. Is there a way to increase
> this timeout period?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete.
> ----- Forwarded by Peter Shankland/RPL on 09/05/2006 18:10 -----
> |         |           Peter Shankland  |
> |         |           09/05/2006 17:44 |

>  |       To:      "Chad Osmond" <chad.osmond at holburn.com>
|
>  |       cc:      nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
|
>  |       Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] SMS Text Message help(Document link:
Peter Shankland)                                                     |

> When I run the following:
>
> su - nagios sms_client vodafone_tap:123456789 "message"
>
> I get:
>
> /bin/sms_client: /bin/sms_client: cannot execute binary file
>
> Is this starting to look like a permissions problem?
>
> Thanks.

> |         |           "Chad Osmond"    |
> |         |           <chad.osmond at holb|
> |         |           urn.com>         |
> |         |           09/05/2006 17:03 |

>  |       To:       "Peter Shankland" <Peter.Shankland at ricoh-rpl.com>
|
>  |       cc:
|
>  |       Subject:  RE: [Nagios-users] SMS Text Message help

> Try echoing the command into a tmp file, and then running it as the
> nagios user.. Eg:
>
> command_line   echo " /usr/bin/printf \"%b\" "***** Nagios
> *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState:
> $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:
> $LONGDATETIME$\n\" | /bin/sms_client vodafone_tap:$CONTACTADDRESS1$ " >
> /tmp/sms-command`date +%s`
>
> The "su - nagios"  and "sh /tmp/sms-command...." and see what happens.
>
> My guess, from my experience last week is that there is either an error
> with quotation marks, or the context.. By dumping the command to a temp
> file you will be able to debug what is happening.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Chad

# pwd
/loony/bin