Excluding hosts in service definitions?

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Mon May 8 17:39:55 CEST 2006

Here's the scenario: One critical sub-section of my monitored hosts
consists of about 180 nodes with an average of 7 service checks each.
They are in a setup using the hierarchical and templating mechanisms
built into nagios which has made managing all these similar hosts very
manageable.

However, over time the inescapable exceptions have crept in.  There
are about 6 exceptions to the approx. 1260 service checks.  Is there
any way to express this in the nagios definitions anywhere?

An example.  Lets say hostgroup hg1 consists of 6 hosts -- host1
through host6.  This hostgroup has 7 services -- s1 through s7.  For
some reason, host6 should not have sc1 checked -- how can I do this
without pulling host6 apart from hg1?  Is this possible?

This is how I would imagine excluding host6 from service "s1" while
still being a member of hg1:

define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name                  hg1
        alias                           hg1
        members                         host1,host2,host3,host4,host5,host6
}

define service {
        name                           s1
        use                             default
        hostgroup_name                  hg1
        host_name                   !host6
}

OR

define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name                  exception_sc1
        members                         host6
}

define service {
        name                           s1
        use                             default
        hostgroup_name                  hg1,!exception_sc1
}

Is this possible?  Is it planned for the future?  Does anyone have a
work-around they are using?

~trask