Check_NTP issues

John Jolet john at jolet.net
Fri May 5 20:51:57 CEST 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 12:10, Tiago Cruz wrote:
> Thanks again by your attention! :)
>
> John Jolet wrote:
> > did you run check_ntp -H localhost on the box in question?  did it return
> > okay?
>
> I'll post all the output here, because I'm not understanding what's can be
> happing here :-(
>
> Trinity, IP 10.0.0.173 (Nagios Server)
>
> trinity:~# ntpq -p localhost
>        remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>=== 10.0.0.91       .INIT.          16 u  704 1024    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
>
> trinity:~# /.../check_ntp -H localhost
> Argument "(not parsed)" isn't numeric in abs at /.../check_ntp line 355.
> NTP WARNING: Desynchronized peer server found
okay, first thing is that neither of those servers are synced with anyone.  if
they were synced, they would have a * next to the "remote" address.  i'd get
ntp working and synchronizing first, before I messed with checking that
service.  If 10.0.0.91 is supposed to be the reference for the rest of your
network, get him syncing to at least 3 servers on at least two strata first.
If you want to email me offlist with your ntpd.conf file, i'll try to help
out some more.  However, until ntp is actually working on the server that's
supposed to be supplying your time locally, i think you're going to be kinda
off-topic for this list with this issue.

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department
john at jolet.net