Check_NTP issues

John Jolet john at jolet.net
Thu May 4 23:08:57 CEST 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 14:21, Tiago Cruz wrote:
> John Jolet wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 May 2006 14:03, Tiago Cruz wrote:
> >> sidious:~# ./check_ntp -H 10.0.0.19
> >> Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at
> >> /interdotnet/tools/nagios/plugins/bin-1.4.2/libexec/check_ntp line 424.
> >> NTP WARNING: Desynchronized peer server found|offset=-5.885026,
> >> jitter=0,peer_stratum=16
> >
> > that line divides $jitter by 1000.  for some reason, $jitter isn't
> > getting set.  it's initialized at the top of the code to undef, and is
> > supposed to be set to $11 from the output of the ntpq command.  if you
> > run the ntpq command yourself, do you get a value for jitter?
>
> Hello John,
>
> I'm not sure about the correct syntax of this command, but, please, look
> at this:
>
> sidious:~# ntpq -p 10.0.0.19
> 10.0.0.19: timed out, nothing received
> ***Request timed out
>
> sidious:~# ntpq -p localhost
>        remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>   jitter

>=== 10.0.0.91       .INIT.          16 u  658 1024    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
>
> It this that you want?
> Many thanks by your attention!

well, as you can see..running it against 10.0.0.19 results in null for
jitter :)  sounds like ntp on that box isn't listening to remote hosts.  try
running the check_ntp on that host via nrpe...
prepare for this by running ntpq -p localhost on that 10.0.0.19 box.  if you
still get nothing received...ntpd is not running.

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department
john at jolet.net