How service and host checks work together?

Danila Kutepkin skorbets at rambler.ru
Thu May 4 08:50:59 CEST 2006

Hi there!

I have some poblem:
I user nagios to monitor about 1000 hosts (radio bridges on base
stations, routers and switches) with a very big tree of connections
(using "parents" in host definition). Now I use active host checks to
determine host status (It's very much importaint to me if a host is
DOWN or UNREACHABLE (i.e. its parent is DOWN). Since active host
checks are not parallelized, when some big base station crashes, about
100-200 units crash too and nagios begins to check host states very
slow. To prevent that lag in host cheks and determining of host state
I have to migrate from active host checks to active service checks.

The question is how to configure nagios to change host status to DOWN
or UNREACHABLE after active service check (PING) of this host failed
(changed status to CRITICAL).

Where can I find info about how active service checks work with host
states?