macros in check_command

Adrian Bridgett adrian.bridgett at opsera.com
Tue May 2 18:03:58 CEST 2006

I've had a google for this but can't see anyone else reporting it.

I have a website which I'd like to monitor, however it will be
loadbalanced and HA'd between two machines.  I'd therefore like to
monitor, webA, webB and the external address.

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  ext_web
        alias           External webservers
        contact_groups  web-admins
        members         webA,webB
        }

define host{
        use generic-host
        host_name webA
        alias webA (HA-1)
}
define host{
        use generic-host
        host_name webB
        alias webB (HA-2)
}

define command{
        command_name    check_ext_web
        command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -H
www.example.com -I $ARG1$ -u "/" -s "Welcome to Example.com" -w 2 -c 10
        }

define service{
        use                     frequent-service
        hostgroup_name       mgmt
        service_description     external web
        contact_groups          web-admins
        check_command           check_ext_web!www.example.com
        event_handler_enabled   1
        event_handler           event-handler
        }

define service{
        use                     frequent-service
        hostgroup_name          ext_web
        service_description     external web
        contact_groups          web-admins
        check_command           check_ext_web!$HOSTADDRESS$
        event_handler_enabled   1
        event_handler           event-handler
        }

However although the first service works fine, the second one doesn't.
check_http ends up being called with "$" instead of the address of webA
and webB.  I've left out the details of the "mgmt" group.

This is nagios 1.3 I'm afraid.  Looking at the docs and reading between
the lines a little am I correct in saying that macros are _only_
supported in commands in v1.3?

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/macros.html

Many thanks,

Adrian