Event Handlers

Toto Capuccino shoktai at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 20:26:51 CEST 2006

It really depends on what you are trying to resolve.
I am using eventhandlers with nrpe when a windows' service is down so i can
make it starts.
That happens -not so often hopefully- with servers that are rebooting due to
power failure : the Exchange Information Store service for instance is not
always up automatically (strange but still...), so with a windows shell
script i managed to get ride of users complains about not being able to get
their emails.
You can write short scripts in perl, vbscript, shell bash, whatever.
You have to know exactly how to react when problems arise and that the
tricky part beyond handling Nagios configuration.
I am newbie and would appreciate others feedback about how they use
eventhandlers, cause that's nagios power to respond to problems...the so
called proactive monitoring.
2006/3/31, tomvo at absi.be <tomvo at absi.be>:

> Hi James,
>

> I just came accross your message on the nagios mailing list, and i have
> exactly the same request.
>
> I didn't see any answers on the list, so I was wondering if you have found
> a solution ?
>

> regards,
> Tom.

> Tom Van Overbeke - ABSI Service Delivery Coordinator
> email: tomvo at absi.be
> Tel: +32 2 333 40 00 - Fax: +32 2 332 34 69
> website: http://www.absi.be

> Dehnert James Sr <jdehnert at caymas.com>
> Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
> 10/03/2006 23:29
>
>         To:     nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>         cc:
>         Subject:        [Nagios-users] Event Handlers
>

> Most of all of the processes and such I monitor are not on the Nagios
> server.  I do want to be able to use event handlers to try and
> resolve things before I get paged though, so I am wondering if there
> is a plug-in that can be used through NCSA or NRPE that will allow me
> to run an event handler script on a remote system.
>
>   Thanks,
>      Zeke
>
> --
> mailto:jdehnert at caymas.com   James "Zeke" Dehnert
> Phone: 707 283 5042             Fax: 707 283 5001
>              -= Eschew Obfuscation =-
> "Life is racing, everything else is just waiting"
> Arrested Development  ==>>  http://www.the-op.com

> language
> webcast
> territory!
> reporting any issue.

Le bon sens est la chose du monde la mieux partagée.