problems with nrpe 2.0 and 2.4 on x86_64

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Thu Mar 30 19:08:56 CEST 2006

Hi all,

for about 2 weeks we have problems with 2 monitored servers. Both are
running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 x86_64 on AMD Opteron, both have
following components installed:

- - NRPE Version: 2.3 Last Modified: 01-23-2006 (I downloaded 2.4 ;-)
- - nagios-plugins 1.4.2
- - nagios-plugins-sap-ccms-0.7.2-45
- - xinetd-2.3.13-39.11

Each time the monitoring server sends a nrpe trap, I find
kernel: nrpe[8893]: segfault at 0000000000000030 rip 0000002a9568a911 rsp
0000007fbfffb800 error 4
in /var/log/messages.

Xinetd complains about
xinetd[12263]: Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe
[file=/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe] [line=15]
in /var/log/messages. You see /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe here:
- ---snip---
# default: on
# only_from: 141.65.129.80
service nrpe
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = nagios
        group           = nagios
	disable		= no
        server          = /usr/bin/nrpe
        server_args     = -n -c /etc/sapmon/nrpe.cfg -i
        flags           = REUSE
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}
- ---pins---
As you see, line 15 contains the closing bracket. It does not make any
differences whether the order of the lines are changed or if I use
nobody/nogroup instead - it's an error on line 15. When I add the only_from
directive, it is still line 15. When I enter a faulty parameter ("disabled"
instead of "disable") I see the corresponding line number in the error text.

And to add to my confusion, the same configuration runs fine on another
machine with i686 architecture. Just the instance names of some SAP checks
are changed...

Best of all is that the monitoring server shows all services as green, and
with the correct output.

I am just a bit concerned since one day we had a /var/log/messages of 35
Gig size :-(

What did I do till now? Well, first I tried the rpms delivered with SLES9.
Then I removed them and compiled nrpe 2.0 (and later nrpe 2.4) on the
machines. No changes - the error appears, nagios shows "good" results. Then
I commented out all the commands in /etc/sapmon/nrpe.cfg. The error is
still there, now nagios shows (correctly) that the service is not defined.

Can someone please put me on the way to get rid of those error lines?

Google and alltheweb.com only told me that there was an issue with nrpe
segfaulting when the config was faulty - but this was 3 years ago... BTW, I
did not find something like "nrpe -v -c /etc/sapmon/nrpe.cfg" or something
similar to have nrpe check its config file. Is it planned to support this
check in the future?

Sigh
Werner

- --
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
UFZ Umweltforschungszentrum Leipzig-Halle GmbH,
Permoserstr. 15 - 04318 Leipzig
Tel.: (0341) 235-3921 - Fax (0341) 235-453921
http://www.ufz.de - eMail: werner.flamme at ufz.de