NRPE: Unable to read output returns ok?

Rafael Bandeira da Costa rafaelc at vegait.com.br
Thu Mar 30 16:34:17 CEST 2006

[ Fedora Core 4 ]
[ Nagios 2.0 ]
[ NRPE 2.4 ]

Hello list

    I am getting some wrong information when checking some of my
switches, as you can see here (from the web interface):

SW-14 ALIVE    CRITICAL    30-03-2006 11:16:52     0d 0h 22m 10s     3/3
    CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (y.y.y.y)

SW-14 PORT 24    OK     30-03-2006 11:17:03     0d 19h 43m 48s     1/3
    NRPE: Unable to read output

    My question is: is it correct that NRPE returns OK when unable to
read the output? In my opinion, it should return a critical alert or at
least an unknown state.

    That's not the only example; in some cases I get OK for "NRPE:
Unable to read output" even when the switch is up.

    That's my configuration for the involved services/hosts/checks/nrpe.
Understand that I can't check the host directly as that switch is behind
a firewall - so that I use the nrpe_master host to query them.

define host {
        use                     default_host

        check_command           check_tcp!5666
        host_name               nrpe_master
        alias                   NRPE MASTER
        address                 x.x.x.x
}

define service {
        use                             default_service

        host_name                       nrpe_master
        service_description             SW-14 ALIVE
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check-host-alive!y.y.y.y
}

define service {
        use                             default_service

        host_name                       nrpe_master
        service_description             SW-14 PORT 24
        check_command
check_nrpe!check_snmp_int!y.y.y.y!161!public!'Port 24 on Unit 1'
}

define command {
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -t 30 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c
$ARG1$ -a $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$ $ARG6$ $ARG7$ $ARG8$ $ARG9$
$ARG10$ $ARG11$
}

# NRPE commands
command[check-host-alive]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $ARG1$
-w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1 -t 30
command[check_snmp_int]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp_int.pl -t
30 -H $ARG1$ -p $ARG2$ -C $ARG3$ -n '$ARG4$'

--
Rafael Costa
rafaelc at vegait.com.br
Curitiba - Paraná - Brasil